Dangerous Indoor Plants Children and Pet Households Should Avoid

There are seven dangerous indoor plants children and pet households should avoid. Okay, so there are plenty more than on this particular list, but these are among the most common and/or problem-prone. We recently looked at how to reduce spring yard allergens and now, we’re turning inside the house.

People like houseplants because of their benefits. First and foremost, is their beauty, helping to brighten living spaces and make them appear a bit more natural. Also, indoor plants help to improve air quality by taking in carbon monoxide. And, it’s known caring for houseplants is therapeutic, being quite relaxing and rewarding.

7 Dangerous Indoor Plants Children and Pet Households should Avoid

There are a number of houseplants which can add a splash of color to your living space. Some indoor plants really add to the overall decor of a home. With the right ones, you have living accents, centerpieces, and conversation topics. But, if your household is home to children and pets, there are more than a few indoor plants which shouldn’t be grown inside. We all know just how curious pets and children are — curiosity is simply an innate trait.

Have no fear of growing plants in your home; most are perfectly safe. But if you have inquisitive children and pets who may want to chew or crush plants, there are a few varieties to avoid: the handful of plants that can cause allergic skin irritations, stomach upsets, or worse. Some plants are more toxic than others. The good news is that most must be consumed in large quantities to cause any real damage. Often the bitter taste repels a child or pet and stops them from ingesting much of the plant. —Better Homes and Gardens

And, that’s where the trouble lies. Combine some species of plants with curious little creatures and that’s produces a precarious situation. Just like poisonous landscape plants to avoid, there are species which shouldn’t have a place in your home if it’s also home to young ones and pets. Now, the upside is, most toxic plants require a lot of consumption to cause real problems. But, it’s not worth the risk. So, here are seven dangerous indoor plants children and pet households should avoid:

  • Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum wallisii). Peace lilies are a flowering indoor plant and are especially popular around Easter. These dark leaf, white flower plants have the additional benefit of being low maintenance. Peace lilies make  great spring decor, so they are not only beautiful, but also easy to care for. However, peace lilies have their downside — Spathiphyllum wallisii is toxic humans, canines, and felines. While safe to touch, peace lilies are dangerous when consumed.
  • Devil’s ivy (Epipremnum aureum). Also known as pathos, devil’s ivy is likewise a fairy common indoor plant. A leafy vine, these are also easy to care for but they have a particularly attractive drape. This makes them more tempting to kids and domestic pets. But devil’s ivy isn’t safe for consumption because it causes vomiting and swelling. Like peace lilies, devil’s ivy is safe to touch but definitely not to eat.
  • Sago palm (Cycas revoluta). Sago palm is an ancient species of plant and are great for improving indoor air quality. Sago palm has a distinct structure and small ones are a wonderful centerpiece or accent piece. But, Cycas revoluta is highly toxic and like devil’s ivy, it causes vomiting when any portion of the plant is ingested. Sago palm also causes diarrhea, when consumed and it’s even known to cause liver failure.
  • Caladium (Caladium). Also known as Elephant Ear, caladium plants boast a variety of bright colors, which makes it a great choice for indoor decor. Caladium’s velvet like leaves make the plant beautiful but unfortunately, a bit too tempting for curious children and pets. Consuming the leaves is dangerous because doing so causes vomiting, diarrhea, swelling, and eye pain.
  • Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima). A common Christmas ornamental plant, poinsettia is one that’s particularly bright, with red flower. It already has a dangerous reputation for causing vomiting and nausea, but unlike conventional wisdom, won’t cause death. (Many pounds of the plant would have to be ingested to be fatal.)
  • English ivy (Hedera helix). Fine vines and pointed leaves make English ivy a natural houseplant. But, this plant makes the danger list because it causes a number of health conditions, which include: rash, ataxia, vomiting, swelling in the throat, weakness, and dermatitis.
  • Cyclamen (Cyclamen). A dark leaf plant with bright-colored flowers ranging from red to white is what makes them such a great houseplant to pep up decor. But when ingested, it causes diarrhea and vomiting, so it’s not an idea choice for households with children and pets.

Related Posts