Florida fall landscaping ideas range from simple to complex. Regardless of what you choose, this is the perfect time of year to do something to transform your landscape. With cool weather, pleasant breezes, and dry air, it’s invigorating to be outdoors, making wonderful home improvements. If you stay away from poisonous plants and think about combining style with function, you’ll really enjoy the results.
Florida Fall Landscaping Ideas
The fact of the matter is, there are plenty of ways to update your outdoor living space. Upgrade and add more lighting, now that the days are shorter and the nights are cooler. You’ll be able to enjoy outdoor entertainment well after the sun goes down. It’s also a good time to replace outdoor furniture because it’s out of season and will be less expensive. You can also make other small improvements, like hanging curtains for privacy.
From growing blooming shrubs, to planting annuals and perennials, to deer-proofing your garden, there are many beautiful and wonderful ways to make your home inviting and appealing. Some of our best landscaping ideas include adding height with planters and baskets, and creating spaces where outdoor party guests can sit, relax, and enjoy drinks and company. Each of these yard landscaping ideas is both attractive and functional, so let them stir your imagination. —Southern Living
If you feel ambitious, now is a great time to put in a mini-bar or to install an outdoor kitchen so you can cook, eat, and entertain outside without having guests track through your home. Since you’ll be outside more often, consider laying out some area rugs for color and space definition. But if you really want to make improvements which add to your enjoyment and/or to the value of your house, here are some more Florida fall landscaping ideas:
- Install a deck. Fall is an ideal time to improve your landscape with different features. A new wood or composite deck is just the thing. After all, now is the right time of year to be outside, enjoying the weather and the beauty of your landscape. You don’t have to install a massive deck, just one that fits nicely with your house and one that will accommodate your furniture and more, like storage. Surround it with deck lighting for a neat effect and function and consider putting a planter along one of the rails.
- Lay a pathway. If you have a flower or vegetable garden or plan to plant one in the near future, laying a pathway is a great first step. It will help to define the area and add a lot of style and function in your backyard. Choose from brick, stone, or other materials and one that’s complementary to the rest of your yard and landscape theme. Whatever you do choose to use, be sure to stay away from right angles, because these look out-of-place in landscape design.
- Put in a fire pit. Now that the weather has turned cooler here in Sarasota in west-central Florida, take advantage and install a fire pit. One great choice is a multifunction fire pit. These come equipped not only to handle fire, but also, do more, such as serve as a table, grill, cooler, and more. These are great for entertaining, where are few guests can gather around, enjoy a casual meal, and feel the warmth of the fire, all at the same time.
- Erect a new pergola. Since the weather is so wonderful, now is the time to erect a pergola. It can be covered with vines and/or surrounded with folding curtains. This makes an idea escape when the balmy summer days return and it makes a beautiful hardscape feature in practically any yard. It also makes the perfect centerpiece for a backyard landscape and it can be used for different purposes. One such use is a lounge area for you, family, and friends.
- Install a privacy fence. There are several benefits to a privacy fence. One is its primary purpose — to provide a stylish privacy barrier for your property. Another is it’s a great home improvement addition that actually adds value to your house. Yet another function is it’s a great place to hang plants and decor. If you do install a fence, be sure it’s the right fence for you property so it doesn’t look out-of-place or doesn’t really deliver on its primary purpose.
If it’s time to update your landscape or add more features, contact us. We are a full-service, professional landscape design company and serve all of Sarasota, including near Bayfront Drive, around Rolling Green Golf Club, along Longboat Club Road, and elsewhere.